Monday 15 February 2010

It ain't what you say...

At the moment at church we're working through a series on the letters to the 7 churches in Revelation. Every week I've been wondering if this week, what we're looking at might be a slightly "easier" message to bring, but 5 weeks in and each week has been challenging at a deep and sometimes uncomfortable level.


One interesting thing, whatever I'm speaking on, is when people comment on the way I've preached, both at WCF and when I'm speaking at other churches. And I guess that, while there is undoubtedly a basic Leveson style that is just how I am when I'm preaching, there are variations in delivery too. The interesting thing is that these genuinely aren't premeditated in any way. It's not like I decide in advance that today will be more passionate or whatever. Reflecting on it a little, I'd like to think that what determines not only what I say but how I say it, is the Bible passage in front of me. Because at the end of the day my task as preacher isn't first and foremost to bring strategic direction to the church (might be my task as leader but they're not necessarily the same), or even to bring a prophetic word (it might happen, and hopefully what's said will have a prophetic edge) but above all, to act as a kind of microphone that makes the Bible speak more loudly and clearly to those who are listening. No doubt there are all kinds of issues with that understanding of the task, but if you start to deviate too much you end up with the preacher's spiritual thoughts. And that's a high risk strategy, at least where I'm concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment